MONT ALTO, Pa. - Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) blasted home a pair of long distance goals as she proved to be the lone goal scorer for the Penn State Mont Alto women's soccer team in Saturday's 8-2 loss to Christendom College.
Inside the Box Score
- Gemma Youngman (4) and Annie McGraw (3) did most of the goal scoring for Christendom netting a combined seven goals for the visitors. Samantha Stahl was the other goal scorer for the Crusaders in the 13th minute.
- Angel Schoonover (Woodhull, N.Y. / Jasper-Troupsburg) settled down in net and finished with a career-high 17 saves.
- Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) has netted two goals in her first two games for Mont Alto. She is currently tied with Brianna Banks of PSU Brandywine for most goals in the PSUAC.
- Mont Alto held the 5-2 advantage in corner kicks.
How it Happened
- Gemma Youngman got things rolling for the Crusaders with a pair of goals that were just under two minutes apart from each other as the second occurred at the 10:39 mark. The visitors went on to make it 4-0, before Mont Alto began to build possession and were rewarded a free kick opportunity after a Christendom foul.
- Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) capitalized with a strike from 35-yards out that dipped right below the crossbar in the 24th minute.
- Annie McGraw scored on the counter for Christendom in the 26th minute, but Newell caught their goalkeeper sleeping with another strike from distance that found the back of the net.
- The visitors added a pair of second half goals for the final margin.
The Penn State Mont Alto women's soccer team enters conference action in its next game on Wednesday, September 19th against PSU Beaver. The home match is slated to begin at 2 p.m.