GETTYSBURG, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto volleyball team held on Sunday afternoon in a thrilling five-set victory over Penn State DuBois. Mont Alto improves to 10-4 overall and 5-1 within the PSUAC.
Inside the Box Score
- Mont Alto won the first set 25-15, dropped the second 18-25, railed for a 25-20 third set win, dropped a 25-18 fourth and dominated the decisive fifth set 15-6.
- PSUMA connected on 45 kills on 132 swings with Kylee Gooding (Warriors Mark, Pa. / Tyrone Area) finishing as the top hitter with 16 kills.
- Sophomore's Kimmy Harker (Huntingdon, Pa. / Juniata Valley) and Kirstyn Black (Saint Thomas, Pa. / James Buchanan) played smart matches with a combined 14 kills.
How it Happened
- The first set saw both teams trade points until Mont Alto gained momentum in the middle portion of the set. PSUMA gained a six-point lead and cruised to the 25-15 win.
- It was once again back-and-forth to begin the second set, but DuBois forced two consecutive timeouts as they made a solid run within the beginning of the game. The visitors took the set by a 25-18 score.
- It was tied up 10-10 after a few nice rallies won by each team including a Kylee Gooding (Warriors Mark, Pa. / Tyrone Area) kill that put Mont Alto up 11-10. PSUMA gained a cushion at 22-19 after an ace by Melanie Tracey (York, Pa. / Dallastown Area) and cruised to the 25-20 victory.
- DuBois took the fourth set as there were several PSUMA mishits and the visiting Lions capitalized winning 25-18.
- Kirstyn Black (Saint Thomas, Pa. / James Buchanan) connected on a kill to put her team up 3-1 to get the fifth set started. They traded points equally before Mont Alto went up 8-6 with the teams trading sides after a Gooding ace. It was all Mont Alto within the second half of the set and earned the match winning point after a DuBois hitting error.
Mont Alto will take part in a PSUAC crossover weekend at Rec Hall in University Park with the Nittany Lions slated to take on Penn State Brandywine, Penn State Hazleton, Penn State Schuylkill and Penn State Wilkes-Barre on Saturday and Sunday.