PURCELLVILLE, Va. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's soccer team won its second-straight non-conference game of the week, this time it was a 7-1 routing of Patrick Henry College on Thursday evening.
Inside the Box Score
- Mont Alto came out firing and it paid off with several first half goals. Within the opening half, PSUMA fired 11 shots and scored on five of them.
- Senior Maddie Shirley (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) scored a brace within the first half and is second on the squad with four goals.
- The Nittany Lions scored on a corner kick and had 10 opportunities to do so against Patrick Henry.
- Goalkeeper Jesime Freet (Carlisle, Pa. / Carlisle) made four saves.
How it Happened
- Shirley got the scoring party started for Mont Alto with an effort that was originally saved by the keeper but deflected into the back of the net in the 5th minute.
- Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) provided what turned out to be her first of two assists on a nice feed to Kaitlin Provard (Mont Alto, Pa. / Cumberland Valley Christian) who finished it off.
- The Nittany Lions made it 4-0 when Tori Stouffer (Orrstown, Pa. / Cumberland Valley Christian) and Sarah Mackey (Norfolk, Va. / Granby) scored back-to-back goals that were minutes apart.
- Maddie Shirley (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) gave her team the 5-0 lead with another unassisted effort before the halftime break.
- Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) and Greyson McKnight (Sterling, Va. / Potomac Falls) scored the second half goals for PSUMA as they held on for the 7-1 win.
Mont Alto (3-4) square off against Penn State Brandywine in its opening match of the conference slate on Saturday with game time slated for 2 p.m.