MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto baseball team earned a split in Wednesday's home doubleheader as they fell 8-2 in the first game and held on late for a 3-2 victory.
Hagerstown Community College 8, Penn State Mont Alto 2
- HCC plated a run in the top of the first inning with an RBI single from Josh Menders.
- PSUMA responded in the bottom half of the frame with two runs. Colby Black (Shippensburg, Pa. / Big Springs) and Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) caught the visitors napping with a double steal as Black scored. The other run within the inning was plated on an RBI single off of the bat of Chayse Fisher (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan).
- The Hawks were able to find the gaps within the Mont Alto defense as they scored seven more runs in the second inning. Overall the team managed six of what turned out to be there 12 hits of the game within the frame.
- Senior Hunter Martin (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) took the loss on the mound as he recorded a pair of strikeouts in six innings of work.
Penn State Mont Alto 3, Hagerstown Community College 2
- Mont Alto scored first in the bottom of the opening inning when Jeremiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport) sent a single up the middle in which Colby Black (Shippensburg, Pa. / Big Springs) scored.
- Hagerstown tied it up in the bottom of the second, but Mont Alto went back up in the next half inning when Colby Black (Shippensburg, Pa. / Big Springs) rocketed an RBI triple.
- The eventual game winning run was scored when Chayse Fisher (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) reached on an error, which plated a run making it 3-1.
- Things got dicey with HCC making it 3-2 in the sixth inning, but reliever Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) worked himself out of jam. Younker pitched the bottom half of the seventh inning putting the Hawks down in order to earn his second-straight save.
- Jacoby got his first start of the season on the mound and limited the opposition to five hits, while striking out five in five innings.
Mont Alto (19-13, 7-2 PSUAC) opens a pivotal three-game series with Penn State DuBois this weekend. PSUMA will travel to DuBois for a doubleheader on Saturday with game times slated for 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.