MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's volleyball ball team hosted Hollins University to begin their 2018 season. The Nittany Lions went back and forth in the first set, but self-inflicted errors were too much to overcome as Hollins swept the match, 3-0.
Inside the Box Score
- Breanne Byers (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) and Rachel Manikowski (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) each made their collegiate debuts and combined for seven kills.
- Senior Courtney Stump (Greencastle, Pa. / Greencastle Antrim) had a team-high nine digs and fellow captain Katie Muse (Hagerstown, Md. / Boonsboro) added 12 assists.
- The visitors turned in a team effort with both Deja Hadden and Kenna Esquibel dishing out five kills apiece.
How it Happened
- Mont Alto started off strong in the first set building up a 5-0 lead, which eventually forced a timeout. However, Hollins University (2-0) regrouped out of the break securing the lead at 15-13 and never looked back during the set closing it out 25-20.
- In the second set, Hollins University came out swinging with a match-best 11 kills within the set as they rolled to a 25-7 win.
- The Nittany Lions were unable to string any momentum together until late within the third set as they scrapped back and battled their opponent with several impressive rallies. The visitors, however came out on top winning the final set 25-10.
Penn State Mont Alto will travel to Notre Dame of Maryland on Tuesday, September 4 for a non-conference matchup. The match is slated to begin at 7:30 p.m.