New Kensington, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto softball team rallied from a three-run deficit, but lost in extra innings 6-5 and it dropped an 8-5 decision to Penn State New Kensington as the homestanding Lions completed the sweep. The losses dropped Mont Alto to 9-13 overall and 7-13 in the PSUAC and the Lions were officially eliminated from postseason contention in the PSUAC Softball Championship Tournament.
Penn State New Kensington 6, Penn State Mont Alto 5 (F)
- PSU New Kensington opened the scoring in the bottom of the first inning after Allison Nicklas tripled to center field and scored on a Shianne Bezts fielder's choice.
- Mont Alto tied it up at 1-1 in the top of the second when Kayla Carbaugh smashed her first career homer over the left field fence. However, the tie was short-lived with the homestanding Lions regaining the lead in the bottom half of the frame on a Rebecca Wilhelm RBI single.
- PSU New Kensington added to its lead in the bottom of the fourth inning scoring three runs on three hits including a two-out, two-RBI double off the bat of Nicklas that opened up a 5-2 advantage for the Lions.
- Penn State Mont Alto's rally within the seventh inning was greatly aided by three defensive errors by New Kensington. Quinlan Mclaughlin drew a walk to open the frame, Cassidy Feaser reached on an error by the Lions second basemen and each runner advanced a base on a steal. Mclaughlin and Feaser scored a batter later when Krista Feaser reached on a throwing error by the New Kensington shortstop. The Lions knotted it up at five runs apiece two outs later on Brianna Glatz towering fly ball that was dropped by the right fielder.
- In the extra frame, Penn State Mont Alto went down in order and New Kensington played small-ball as it pushed across the winning run on a RBI single from Morgan Williams.
Penn State New Kensington 8, Penn State Mont Alto 5 (F)
- The game was scoreless until PSU Mont Alto exploded for three runs in the top of the third inning. The Lions managed four hits within the frame as Kayla Carbaugh, Kaitlyn Whiteaker and Helayna Stanko each recorded RBI's to give them the 3-0 lead.
- Cassidy Feaser held the home team scoreless in the circle in the bottom of the third and the Lions added a pair in the top of the fourth. Alexandra Zombro hit an RBI single up the middle, which scored Feaser and Brianna Glatz singled to right field scoring Zombro for the 5-0 advantage.
- Penn State New Kensington finally got on the board in the fourth inning scoring four runs on five hits and were aided by two errors within the inning. Down 5-4 entering the bottom of the sixth inning, the Lions took their first lead on three-straight doubles, which scored four runs including the game-winning tally.
- Alexandra Zombro, Alyssa Munns, Brianna Glatz and Cassidy Feaser each had multi-hit games for the Lions.
Penn State Mont Alto returns to action on Wednesday, April 26 for a non-conference doubleheader with Wilson College. Game times are slated for 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.