MONT ALTO, Pa. – Leading scorer Jalen Smith (Ranson, W. Va. / Jefferson) netted the game-winning shot with under 14 seconds left in a 30-point effort to lead Penn State Mont Alto past Valley Forge, 74-73 on Tuesday evening. Ryan Hege (Chambersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) added 12 points, and Marcus Roper (Charles Town, W Va. / Jefferson) and Jihad Warner (Philadelphia, Pa. / Swenson Arts and Technology) each scored 10 points.
Inside the Box Score
- Jalen Smith (Ranson, W. Va. / Jefferson) scored 20 of his team-high 30 points in the first half and was 3-for-4 from 3-point range. Smith ended with 30-points and 3 rebounds.
- The Nittany Lions used balanced scoring within its starting lineup to power it to victory.
- Mont Alto (9-8, 2-5 PSUAC) shot 52.5 percent from the field and held the Patriots to 45.5 percent shooting.
- Neither team particularly capitalized on late game free throw shooting, but Mont Alto did shoot the better 57.1 percent clip from the charity stripe.
How it Happened
- The game was tied at 15 points apiece, when Mont Alto went on a 6-0 run to take a 21-15 lead with 10:45 left in the half.
- Both teams traded baskets to close the first half with the Nittany Lions taking a 42-38 lead into halftime.
- Valley Forge opened the second half with a 7-0 run to gain the 45-42 lead.
- Both teams would trade the lead on consecutive possessions with Valley Forge's 3-point lead being the biggest of the half.
- Jalen Smith (Ranson, W. Va. / Jefferson) out of a Mont Alto timeout within the final minute of play, hit the game-winner on an old fashioned 3-point play as he converted at the line. The basket put MA up 74-73 with its defense coming up strong in the closing seconds.
Penn State Mont Alto return to action on Friday, January 26 in a PSUAC road matchup with PSU Greater Allegheny. Tipoff is slated for 8 p.m.