YORK, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto men's basketball team nearly came back from a 82-71 deficit with just under four minutes remaining, but PSU York made their free throws down the stretch to earn the 88-86 home win on Friday. Mont Alto fell to 6-7 overall and 1-4 in the PSUAC in Friday's road loss.
Inside the Box Score
- Jalen Smith (Ranson, W. Va / Jefferson) poured in a career-high 30 points shooting 57.1 from the floor and he recorded his fourth double-double of the season with 11 rebounds.
- Marcus Roper (Charles Town, W. Va. / Jefferson) was one of three Nittany Lion starters to score in double figures with 11 points along with Smith's 30 and Jihad Warner (Philadelphia, Pa. / Swanson Arts and Technology) who made his second-straight start chipped in 12 points and nine rebounds.
- Quintyn Flemister (Harrisburg, Pa. / Harrisburg) lead the Nittany Lions bench with 14 points as they out-scored PSU York by a 29-25 margin.
How it Happened
- Both team's held double digit advantages with Mont Alto holding a 10-point lead in the first half with 12:58 remaining, and PSU York held a 12-point lead with just over 10 minutes remaining in the second half.
- Both teams nearly shot identical field goal percentages with PSU York edging out Mont Alto shooting 45.9% compared to PSUMA's 45.5%.
- The clutch shooting of Jalen Smith (Ranson, W. Va / Jefferson) and John Link (Hedgesville, W. Va. / Hedgesville) down the stretch in the second half nearly completed the Mont Alto comeback.
- Mont Alto never got hot from 3-point range only shooting 35.7% from downtown.
- Richard Grant led PSU York with 26 points and was 4-of-8 from the charity stripe.
- Joey O'Dywer added 14 points off the bench and Larry Roscoe scored 10 points and had five assists at the point.
Penn State Mont Alto will look to return to it's winning ways tomorrow in a PSUAC matchup with PSU Brandywine. Tipoff is slated for 4 p.m.